It has been a long time since I’ve thrown up. So long, in fact, I almost forgot what it was like and prided myself on having a vomitless constitution…My body lied to me, lured me into complacency, and totally shocked me early Monday morning.

Saturday evening I received a call from Amy, my daughter-in-law, asking if I could come over and watch the girls (Ripley and Harley) because Jud was sick in bed and she was feeling horrible. They had an intestinal flu, nausea/vomiting and diarrhea, but did not say where they got it from.

Of course, I rushed over, picked up the girls, and took them to McDonald’s for dinner and play. While I was carrying one-year-old Harley to the playroom, I felt warm fluid flow from her diaper onto my arm and down my leg. Cripes! In my haste I had forgotten the diaper bag. I grabbed some paper towels and soaked up as much as possible, as Ripley (3) climbed up to the top of the playset. It was not pee, but it was not brown either. Great!

It was nearly eight before I could coax Ripley down from up on high and get them home. Jud was momentarily up and we got them ready for bed. Harley only wanted daddy to put her in the crib, so he did. In the meantime, I read to Ripley. She carefully picked out the books – No, you can’t read this one grandma; no, this is for Daddy; here, you can read these, Grandma. Well, it only took one book, a find this book, which she had obviously been through many, many times. After about ten minutes, I had worn her out with my inability to find tiny things in dull lighting. She got off my lap, put the book up, told me it was time I went home, and she got into bed. Such a big girl!…I turned off the light and left.

Sunday, we had a party. It was supposed to be a birthday party for Jud and Amy, but they were sick. However, it happened to be our anniversary, as well, and we also threw in an engagement party for daughter Merideth and Kipp. After baking casseroles and making dessert on Saturday I was not about to not have a party. Somebody had to eat all that food, so I did not tell anyone until they arrived with presents. (This was also because Danny and I were leaving the next day on a long-awaited road trip.)

Merideth was the last to arrive – without Kipp or two of the children. They were home with the same flu. Amy, Jud, and the girls had eaten dinner at Mer’s on Friday; then Mer had watched the girls while their parents went to the movies. Ah hah!

Anyway, after everyone left, Danny and I started packing, watched football, and went to bed. I woke up about 2:30 and rushed to the bathroom, whereupon I violently relieved myself from both ends. Back to bed. Hour later, violence repeated. Then, I slept for 15 hours…We left for Kentucky at 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday and arrived yesterday afternoon. Danny has not become sick. Hooray!



About Cyranette

I have been writing since I was 11 and am now a grandmother of 9. Aside from my family, I love writing, reading, movies, gardening, genealogy, and travel. I met my soulmate online and we've been married 19 years. I am a survivor of rape, abuse, and cancer. I believe in love, kindness, and common sense. I was born/raised in Indiana and have lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and California. I have visited: most of the United States, British Columbia, Germany, Austria, and Costa Rica. My husband and I would like to visit England, Europe, and New Zealand and to take a train ride along the Canadian/American border. I have written essays, articles, short stories, a romance novel, a self-help book, and several children's books.
This entry was posted in Health, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s