Southern Living January’s issue kindly offers 32 “LIGHTENED-UP COMFORT FOODS” to help people eat and still be merry. Although there are several one-dish meals, I went directly to the sweet stuff. 🙂 With a bit of tweaking, here’s what I’ll be trying first…
Recipe of the Week: Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 large egg
1/2 c. fat-free milk
1/2 c. plain fat-free yogurt
3 tbs. vegetable oil
2 c. unbleached flour
1/4 c. Truvia (or 1/2 c. granulated sugar)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. frozen blueberries
1 tbs. unbleached flour
2 tbs. turbinado or raw sugar
2 tbs. sliced almonds
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Directions: Preheat oven to 400F.
1. Whisk together the first 4 ingredients in large bowl.
2. Sift together the flour and next 3 ingredients in another bowl. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.
3. Toss 1-1/4 c. blueberries in 1 tbs. flour; fold into batter. Pour into a lightly greased 9″ springform pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. blueberries.
4. Stir together 2 tbs. raw sugar, sliced almonds, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.
Note: This recipe touts only 219 calories per slice; with the Truvia there will be even fewer.
Thought of the Week: As often happens, we tire of winter too soon. We have had cold (for us) weather on and off (mostly on) for nearly three weeks. It was good for the holiday festivities, but now we are in a new year and everyone seems ready for new weather. 🙂 Of course, Mother Nature could not care less and does her own thing, producing weather which we have no control over. Weather that we have to tolerate and bear as best we can…With my love of sweaters and cords, I really don’t mind the cold so much, but a little sunshine with it would be nice. Too much gloom can be a bummer (or whatever the new term is nowadays). Too much dry heater air bugs the skin and makes hair brushing quite annoying with static electricity…Funny that we do not have static brains – we are always wishing for a change. Last night’s sleet has turned to rain.