Since winter continues to blow and snow in lots of places, we need to keep kitchens warm and bake, bake, bake. Here’s a yummy treat with tea or coffee, which should be made the day before for supreme flavor absorption…
Recipe of the Week: Orange Glazed Bread
3 tbs. coconut oil (or veg. oil)
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbs. pineapple/banana/orange juice (or regular orange juice)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1-3/4 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 c. milk
1 tbs. grated orange rind
2 tbs. coconut flakes (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 325F.
1. In medium bowl, mix together oil and sugar. Stir in juice.
2. Add eggs, beat thoroughly.
3. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to oil/sugar mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the orange peel and coconut flakes. Beat well.
4. Spread batter into a wellgreased and floured loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
5. Brush with glaze immediately and let bread cool for ten minutes before removing from pan.
6. Sprinkle with grated orange peel, if desired. Continue cooling and store airtight for at least a day before slicing.
For orange glaze: Mix together 3 tbs. powdered sugar and 1 tbs. juice. Add 1 to 2 tbs. grated orange rind.
Thought of the Week: Saturday night I read a book to two-year-old Harley, which was rare. Both she and sister Ripley have always preferred to read on their own, must to my consternation. Then she picked out a book and began reading to me. As I pointed out the pictures and made comments, she grabbed my left index finger and brought it to her lips. “Shhhh,” she admonished, “I talking.” Both girls are quite independent little misses.
Wednesday night, they colored and Ripley built a castle, which had to be put out of Harley’s reach, lest she knock it over – again.